Red Card Frenzy As CD Tenerife March On To Blue Heaven

Goals galore, a flurry of red cards, missed chances, and a determined attitude from CD Tenerife made this a thriller of a match as our heroes beat RB Linense 3-2 at home to go with the 1-0 away win last week. Four red cards, it must have been a blood bath? No but there was a clot for a referee. This was never a dirty game but the ref was weak with his calls early in the game and tried to make up for it by acting tough with anyone who challenged his laughable authority.

It was the 25 th anniversary game for the Frente Blanquiazul peña and their amazing banners draped over the Grada Popular end had an inspiring effect on CD Tenerife. In the first minute Perona broke on the right and skimmed a measured cross over the grass to Kike Lopez who placed it perfectly in the visitors net. Just what we needed to settle the nerves, Chechu could have doubled the advantage but shot into the arms of Pagola in the Linense net. At the over end Sergio Aragoneses punched clear from a free kick and Victor Bravo came back to force a low save from Pagola.

Linense players were falling theatrically at every turn and from one of the many generous free kicks Chico ran onto the ball as Tarantino and Sergio Rodriguez got in a muddle leaving Sergio Aragoneses unsighted as Linense drew level. Tenerife pushed forward, Pablo headed wide and Perona blasted over the bar but there wasn’t enough pressure on the frail keeper who had looked so poor the week before. With 5 minutes to the break the keeper showed his weakness flapping and missing the ball which broke to Bravo to unleash a well placed shot past the helpless stopper. Tenerife let their guard down and Linense replied within a minute as Copi headed the ball down and into the goal. Half time arrived with that dreaded second away goal raising concern among the home fans – another goal and Linense would be on course for victory.

Linense were relying on their big forwards to chase the game as CD Tenerife struggled to regain their composure at the start of the second half. Disaster struck after 58 minutes when Victor Bravo got a second yellow card for arguing and was off%